What should I do if my Whirlpool Hybrid Electric Heat Pump Water Heater displays the “SF” error code?
CAUTION: Before attempting any corrective actions, ensure the power to the water heater is turned off at the circuit breaker/fuse box to ensure your safety.
INDICATES: The air filter is dirty.
What To Do:
- Turn off power at the circuit breaker/fuse box.
- Clean the air filter. For detailed instructions on how to clean or replace the air filter, refer to the “Air Filter Cleaning/Replacement” section below.
A clean air filter ensures optimal operation of the water heater. Regular maintenance and checking of the air filter can prevent this error in the future.
Taking Care of the Air Filter Your heater will tell you when it’s time to clean the air filter. If you see “SF” on the display, it means you need to clean or change the filter. (Look at the last page to see where the filter is.)
IMPORTANT: Always turn off the power at the main power box before you start.
- Find the two handles on the air filter. Pull it out from the top of the heater.
- If you’re getting a new filter, go to step 4. To clean the old one, use a vacuum to suck up the dust.
- Put the new or cleaned filter back into the heater.
- Turn the power back on and start the heater.
NOTE: The heater will check itself before it starts working.
If you’re unable to resolve the issue or feel uncomfortable performing these steps, please contact customer service at 1-877-817-6750 for further assistance.